Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blah, Blah, Blah! The Top 12 Boys...

Wow, what not a good way to start off Season 9.  There is no way they can keep calling this the "Best Talent We've Seen Yet" after the past two nights.  None of these people come close to the talent we saw last year.  Are any of them viable recording artists? Or are we in a season like 6 where only the winner comes out on top?

Todrick Hall "Since U Been Gone"
(The boys videos aren't working, so...)
Todrick took a hugely popular song and rearranged it to a song that nobody could recognize.  (Not to mention it was recorded by the most popular and successful Idol...) His vocals were a little all over the place, but he had great stage presence.  I'm interested to see what else he will do this season.


Aaron Kelly "Here Comes Goodbye"
I'm not sure what the judges were talking about here.  His vocals were consistently underpitch.  It's a shame he's on now, and I know I've said this before, but the poor kid's voice hasn't finished changing.  It's going to sound completely different in 5 years.  I felt like I could hear this performance at any karaoke competition at any Midwestern fair.


Jermaine Sellers "Get Here"
I think Jermaine may have a chance, along with Todrick, to be the first viable African-American male artist (since Ruben) to come out of American Idol.  He was a little overblown, but if he follows the judges advice and picks some neo-soul songs, he could have some amazing performances with that voice.


Tim Urban "Apologize"
I didn't know it was legal to let Zac Efron compete...that's really all I have to say about Tim.


Joe Munoz "You and I"
I really like this guy!  His voice is well-controlled and OMG! he stayed on pitch through the whole song!  (It saddens me that when watching a SINGING COMPETITION the singers cannot consistently sing on the correct pitches...and pitchy is NOT a musical term :( ) Anyways, he was good. And I disagree that this wasn't a good song choice.  I think it showed off his voice well.  I liked the little Latin vibe he gave to it, too.  It would be cool to hear him sing in Spanish. He could be this seasons' Kris Allen...(I spied a guitar in his clip package AND he sang Man In The Mirror...)


Tyler Grady "American Woman"
I just am not feeling this guy.  I didn't really get a sense of his voice with that performance.  Can he sing? I don't know.  And where would he fit on modern radio?


Lee Dewyze "Chasing Cars"
Is it too soon since David Cook's season to have a clone?  I like Lee's voice and his Midwestern boyish charm.  But that song didn't showcase him enough.  And he's too much like David Cook.  Let's hope they give him a Cookified makeover too...


John Park "God Bless The Child"
Um, John...you are basically on a TV show, setting you up to be a viable recording artist, and you pick this song?!  Where would you hear this on the radio?  You have a beautiful voice.  Pick something that's going to let you be the R&B artist lurking inside. Even Michael Buble is cooler than that...


Michael Lynche "This Love"
Wow, more about the baby?  We haven't heard enough?  Anyway, this was ok...he's a boring singer.


Alex Lambert "What A Wonderful World"
Alex is awkwardly adorable.  He's soooo young!  But he can sing!  He picked a great song to show that off.  It's going to be an uncomfortable ride watching him, but if he grows and gets more confident, what a story that will be!


Casey James "Heaven"
I just don't get it with this guy.  Yes, he's disarmingly charming.  He's cute, but not as !!!!!!!ELEVENTY!!!111 Hot as Kara makes him out to be.  He has a decent voice.  I have to give him props for making it through that performance...the judges were so unfair in their behavior with him.  I can't imagine them being allowed to treat a female contestant the same way.


Andrew Garcia "Sugar, We're Goin Down"
This was an interesting arrangement.  But no doubt, Andrew can sing.  He and Todrick are going to make this season interesting, at least...I'm still reserving judgement until I hear what kind of an artist he really would be...


Underwhelming, all of it....sad, so sad...

No comments:

Post a Comment