Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lennon & McCartney Work Their Magic On The Top 9 (Recap)

Finally, I'm seeing a reason to keep watching this season.  It's really all about each contestants' growth this season, not about professional ready performers like the last two seasons.

There actually were some pretty great performances this week.  Although, just a reminder last year's Top 9 was Kris Allen's beginning of his Idol winning peak with "Ain't No Sunshine".  Was this Casey James'?

Aaron Kelly "Long and Winding Road"
This was the long and winding song.  I thought it would never end.  He struggled with his breathing and couldn't support his notes, staying consistently flat.  Kara was so right with the critique that he gives the same performance every week.  It doesn't help that he did the same exact arrangement as David Archuleta two seasons ago.

Katie Stevens "Let It Be"
This may be Katie's best performance to date, but she's still not ready.  Her voice is very shrill.  I don't like it at all.  It was brave to pick this song after Kris Allen did a beautiful cover of it just a month ago.

Andrew Garcia "Can't Buy Me Love"
I thought this was really fun.  It was really poppy and light.  It was a good choice for Andrew.  I'm not sure what more Kara wanted.

Michael Lynche "Eleanor Rigby"
Brave man picking a song that David Cook slayed two seasons ago...It was very theatrical, but not in a musical theatre type way.  I think more in a current big concert kinda way.  They criticize these contestants for  being too "Broadway", but the current pop market is full of that.  Lady Gaga, Pink, Britney Spears, Usher, they put on big shows.  Vocally it was really fantastic.


(I have to embed DC, he's my favorite. :) And it's funny to see pre-makeover David. Incidentally, his make-over happened Top 9...)

Crystal Bowersox "Come Together"
Crystal was very obviously sick.  But she's their golden girl this season, so they won't criticize her for things like that.  I feel sometimes that they judge her in the same way they judged Gokey last season.  I didn't think this was a good as Kris Allen's cover last season, which they crucified him for.  And the digeridoo was a bit strange.

Tim Urban "All My Lovin"
Tim is playing this game.  He's having as much fun as possible and just seems like a genuinely nice guy.  None of who he is is an act.  He may not be the most talented up there, but this week, he had one the the better performances.

Casey James "Jealous Guy"
I admit it, I'm officially a Casey James fan.  This was beautiful.  I loved that he just had the acoustic and a cello.  I also like that he picked a song that 1) had never been done on Idol, and 2) that is a little obscure.  I hope they kept it acoustic for the Itunes recording, cuz I'm planning on downloading this.

Siobhan Magnus "Across The Universe"
I think that in real life Siobhan would drive me crazy.  I'm not sure if she's really that slow or if it's just an act, but I would have no patience for her.  I was starting to be a fan, but these past two weeks she's really fallen.  There is something about her voice I don't like.  It's throaty and nasally at the same time.  She really, really needs voice lessons to control it.  And the stylists need to help her.  What was she wearing?!!!! Next week, I hope that Adam Lambert can help her pull something better out, I really do.  Cuz I want to like her.

Lee Dewyze "Hey Jude"
This was fun!  I felt like I was at a Lee Dewyze concert, not watching American Idol.  And I thought the bagpipes fit much better with this song than Crystal's random didgeridoo.  I also enjoyed the little ode to "Landrew" and the best quote of the season "I'm glad that those two can be together, and get married, and have lots of  little Danny Gokey babies" ~ Crystal Bowersox

Next week ADAM LAMBERT IS THE MENTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ok, I'm just a little excited to have him on my tv screen again...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment