Thursday, April 22, 2010

Idol Gives Back Top 7 Recap

I'm writing this recap after watching half of the Idol Gives Back Two Hour Extravaganza....I already know who went home, but not who I expected to...

I'm going to restate what I've already said on Twitter. No matter what u have 2 say abt Am. Idol,#idolgivesback does great things. Children need health care. It doesn't matter where they r from. (Sorry for the Twitterspeak, I had to get it in 140 characters.)

On to the Inspirational Songs week...

Casey James "Don't Stop Thinkin' About Tomorrow"
Casey has some amazing potential...He may be the contestant that has not lived up to his potential the most of any contestant, ever...What key did he start in?  Not the one he arranged...His guitar playing continues to outshine anyone that has ever been on this show, but this isn't Guitar Idol.  I hope he was watching Steve Vai and Oranthi tonight.  Goat vibrato was in full effect tonight.

Lee Dewyze "The Boxer"
My mother was commenting that she was not inspired to download a single song from this season on Itunes.  Then Lee performed.  Her exact comment was, "I'd download that one."  This was emotional and authentic.  Bless Alicia for having him speak the lyrics.  Not vocally perfect, but is this a song that needs to be perfect?  I have a theory about Lee's background...we'll see if a story emerges after the press ban is lifted.  I doubt he'll be as candid as Glambert, but maybe...

Tim Urban "Better Days" 
On first listen,  I didn't hate this.  I liked him belting.  He needs to work on his phrasing, but someday, he may actually work all this out.  His lower range is really quite nice.  Sometimes, I think the judges give too much credit to popular recording artists.  There are a few out there that arent' as good as they give them credit for...

Aaron Kelly "I Believe I Can Fly"
I'm so surprised he didn't go this week.  Aaron doesn't have a big enough voice for this song, nor should anyone have a big enough voice for this song...why would you pick an R. Kelly song from the movie Space Jam?  He was consistently flat through the whole song.  I couldn't even listen to it for a second time to write the recap...just plain and bland and out of tune...

Siobhan Magnus "When You Believe"
Sure white girl, sing a Mariah/Whitney song.  You are no Mariah/Whitney...let alone a Christina or even Pink...I've over the weeks come to loathe her lower register...how can you be throaty and nasally at the same time.  She has this middle register that is magic, then she shrieks....time to go home Siobhan...

Michael Lynche "Hero" (Nickelback, not Mariah Carey)
sigh why would you sing Nickelback?  Even if it is from Spiderman?  And this was in your list of 200 songs you'd if you made it on Idol?  I'm lost...Vocally, he's fine....sometimes even inspired, or at least the most vocally proficient...get rid of the attitude, dude.  Your daughter will appreciate it in 20 years...

Crystal Bowersox "People Get Ready"
Gorgeous a cappella intro...cool mike stand...the dress is not flattering in the least, but it's Crystal, so do we really care what she looks like?  So emotional...so genuine.  The first week I've actually felt something when she sang.  Some people have been saying that it was unprofessional...what it was was an artist feeling...isn't that what music is about?

So, Tim Urban finally went home...after not even making the Top 24...That's chutzpa for you....




No comments:

Post a Comment