Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Biggest Night of Their Life? Top 8 Girls

I'm sick, I had to work during the show last night, so I'll blog it as I watch it...

Katie Stevens "Breakaway"
Wow, no intro packages.  Mmmm, that was not good.  She was just under pitch, a little behind the tempo, and her phrasing was atrocious.  There was no phrasing really.  It was Gokey phrasing 101.  Plus, her outfit made her look like a 35 year old soccer mom trying to dress trendy.  It was all very tired.

Siobhan Magnus "House of the Rising Sun"
I can't believe they put Siobhan second!  Someone doesn't want her in the Top 12...I love how she started this off acapella. It was absolutely gorgeous.  It also proves how well she really sings.  This was just beautiful.

Lacey Brown "The Story"
It bothers me how hyper-aware of the cameras she is.  This was nice.  I'm not running to buy it...It was definitely her best performance so far.  

Katelyn Epperly "I Feel the Earth Move"
Am I at a wedding?  She's good, but that was not amazing.  She really sounded like a wedding singer.  Why is this season so boring?  She's this season's Matt Giraud, I think.  She has good song choices about half the time, talented, but I feel she's gonna struggle with song choice and connection to the song.

Didi Benami "Rhiannon"
That is the first performance this season I've actually considered downloading.  Perfect song choice.  She's fighting.  She just reminded us of why she is in the semi-finals.  I don't see her winning the whole thing, but she'll definitely make the tour.  The flirting between her and Ryan is hilarious!

Paige Miles "Smile"
Holy goat vibrato! Are we in a piano lounge?  Her pitch was off, the arrangement was weird, and it wasn't in the right key for her.  She doesn't have a nice head voice, she needs to stay in her belt.  She has to be glad the  Worsters are voting for her, cuz otherwise she'd be gone.

Crystal Bowersox "Give Me One Reason"
I know she's the current front runner, and she's good, don't get me wrong.  But until she proves to me she's more modern than my 1996 CD collection, I'll give her more respect as a current recording artist.  I'm not sure where she would be placed on the radio.  Maybe she needs a jam band behind her, cuz I'm not buying the Indigo Girls' music anymore...

Lilly Scott "I Fall To Pieces"
I like the rockabilly vibe she put to this.  Vocally, Lilly is not as strong as Crystal.  She needs to stay away from her lower register, it's just not that controlled.  But, as a musician, she's just as strong, if not stronger than  Crystal.  She's also more modern than Crystal.  I'm not sure where Lilly would be played on the radio, college stations definitely, but she's gonna have a hard time getting spins on more commercial radio.  


No comments:

Post a Comment