Thursday, March 4, 2010

I'm Starting To Believe This Is A Girl's Year...Top 10 Girls

Ok, ok, I've complained, but some girls really redeemed this season last night.  I mean really.  I think the judges are right, a girl just may win this year.

Crystal Bowersox "As Long As I See The Light"
I'm not gonna lie, Crystal is good.  She's incredibly musically talented.  Something about her just feels 10-15 years ago to me.  She would have fit well next to my Indigo Girls and Ani Difranco CDs when I was in college.  The problem with her being on Idol is that the indie scene won't take her seriously now...She sang this very well. Girl has pipes.  I'm very glad she was well enough to perform.  This season wouldn't be as interesting without her.




Haeley Vaughn "The Climb"
Everytime one of the teenagers sings this season, I feel like I'm at a high school choir concert.  It's not easy to make Miley Cyrus look like a pop diva, and Haeley did.  This seems good on paper.  The beginning was ok, shaky, but not painful.  The end just got completely off key.  I don't think she could even hear that she was flat...




Lacey Brown "Kiss Me"
So many of the people on this season would be so much better this season with vocal training.  Lacey doesn't have superb breath support and that hurts her.  She drops notes cuz she can't hold them.  Good breath support gets you through nerves.




Katie Stevens "Put Your Records On"
Such pimping, not living up to it.  Call her Lil Rounds...This song did not work for Katie.  I wasn't a fan of Megan Joy last season, but she sang this song better than Katie. Katie's voice just didn't fit.  Like I said, high school choir concert, again...and somewhere towards the end was a giant voice crack.  I think, if they could get the rights, she should do a song from Spring Awakening...she obviously wants to be Lea Michele...




Didi Benami "Lean On Me"
This doesn't work in concept, and didn't work on stage.  Her voice just isn't big enough for a gospel song like this.  Plus, in what universe is this over-played song relevant?  It's starting to bug me how much she looks like Brooke White...plus you have to look up indulgent?  sigh




Brooke White


Didi Benami


Michelle Delamor "Arms Wide Open"
UGH UGH UGH!!!!! Creed?????!!!!! She may have just gotten herself voted off, just for song choice.  She sang it well.  She's too American Idol seasons 1-5 for me.  The game has changed since then.  I like that she made the song into a diva anthem, but it's still Creed.  Unforgivable. Her last note was closed off, so it wasn't as glorious as it should have been. I also can't figure out why EVERY song this season is super slow.




Lilly Scott "A Change Is Gonna Come"
This version was so different from Adam's last season, you can't compare them...good for Lilly.  My mom thinks she is this season's Kris Allen.  She will have magical moments this season, I totally see it.  She doesn't perform.  She's so honest in her interpretations of songs.  She doesn't have the strongest voice, but is an amazing musician. She needs to raise the keys of her songs so she doesn't bottom out so often.  I actually like her more than Crystal...




Katelyn Epperly "The Scientist"
Super, super talented!  She may be my favorite yet.  What a beautiful cover.  She's so confident behind the piano.  Her voice is so strong.  I thought this was anything but sleepy.  So haunting...



Paige Miles "Walk Away"
All Paige really did here was show what an amazing performer Miss Clarkson is.  Paige has potential, but isn't living up to it yet.  Her upper register isn't open enough.  She's just squeaking out the highest notes.  It kills me when these girls don't drop their jaws and think these big, gorgeous notes are gonna come out.  We saw Adam Lambert's tonsils a lot, but his high notes are glorious...



Siobhan Magnus "Think"
Brave girl, taking on Aretha.  She has the voice for it, though. She's so strange, but endearing.  Is she on something?  That note at the end was perfect.  She keeps her instrument open well and lets the notes resonate.

No comments:

Post a Comment